The Veterans Scholarship fund was established in collaboration with the EOA Foundation and the EOA Board of
Directors. The scholarship is to help veterans with educational expenses as they pursue higher education.
Two awards of $500 to two EOA recipients. This scholarship is open to all EOA Chapters. However, one chapter may not receive more than one award per year. Each Chapter may select a semifinalist (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri/Kansas/Nebraska, and Ohio). The EOA Committee will have a panel of readers to select the finalist for the current year award.
The student applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be an honorably discharged veteran or current member of the Armed Services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard) to include the Reserve and National Guard;
- Be enrolled in a two-year or four-year post-secondary institution for the upcoming academic year; and
- Be a current or former participant in a TRIO or EOP program in the EOA region.
The Nominator MUST be a current member of EOA at the time of the scholarship deadline.
The applicant must submit the following (PDF) materials in order for their application to be considered complete:
- Nomination Form (from TRIO/EOP professional - must be EOA member)
- Letter of Recommendation from Nominator
- Copy of unofficial academic transcript, including current semester schedule
- Signed Photo Release Form
- Student essay (double-spaced and not exceeding 2 pages) describing:
1. The impact of TRIO or educational opportunity program on your education
2. A specific description of your plan to obtain your baccalaureate degree
3. Why the EOA Veterans Scholarship is important to you
A digital headshot photo of applicant must also be on file with the Nominator in case applicant is selected as a recipient.
NOTE: Applications must be completed in one session. Applicants are NOT able to save their progress and return to it later.
Click your Chapter link below to apply!
(Nominator must be an EOA member within that state Chapter in order for the applicant to be eligible.)
ILLINOIS: (Due March 29, 2019)
INDIANA: (Due March 29, 2019)
IOWA: (Due March 16, 2019)
MICHIGAN: (Due March 31, 2019)
MINNESOTA: (Due March 31, 2019)
MO-KAN-NE: (Due March 31, 2019)
OHIO: (Due March 31, 2019)
WISCONSIN: (Due April 5, 2019)
Veterans Scholarship Recipients
2018 Jordan Ross Kansas State Polytechnic SSS, MKN
Adam Franck Iowa Lake CC SSS, IA
2017 Adam McCarthy Iowa Lakes Community College SSS
2016 Sahid Shuman Normandale Community College, Bloomington, MN
Stephanie Dehner Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL
2015 Colby DeBolt Ivy Tech Community College, Fort Wayne, IN
Derrick Perkins Western Nebraska Community College, Mitchell, NE
2014 Paul McCormick TRIO Student Support Services, Central Lakes, MN
Stan Salz TRIO McNair, Wichita University, KS